I’m rather relieved that in the deepest recesses of August, I have finally found enough time to escape from work, decompress, and get properly stuck into PhD work ahead of the autumn term. As an ‘off-campus’ part-time student, I will be working on my own over and above the usual experience of a PhD student. Whilst that was true of my MA too, a PhD is rather different in scale and scope. At the moment I’m not anxious about it, but I am conscious of needing to do some groundwork now to make the most efficient use of the resources I have — included my own time — later.
Some of this is practical. I have yet to quite figure out how I’ll address my library needs (membership of The London Library is a luxury I don’t think I will be able to continue to afford, quite literally; on the other hand, the university campus is several hours away by train…). I have yet to have a detailed conversation with my supervisors about exactly what they will expect from me in terms of ‘face time’. I know that work commitments mean that I will struggle to do very much in the autumn, so I hope that I’m on the right track in terms of my preliminary work this summer.
Some of this is also exciting, though. I have an opportunity now to try to set up a process that will serve me well over the next few years, particularly in terms of writing tools:
- I’m still using Scrivener, which I used for my MA, but I’m finally starting to make better use of its tools because I’ve had a moment to think clearly about structure. I have folders for all of my readings: primary (fiction); primary (non-fiction); ‘pre-primary’; and secondary. I have a serious number of sub-folders for each author and specific works, within which I have PDFs, imported webpages, links to sound files (for references to lectures by Foucault, etc.) and jpegs of related paintings and sculptures. Being able to include the PDFs means that I can now do a lot of my readings from within Scrivener, making it even more of a one-stop-shop.
- I have finally gotten to the stage where I feel like Zotero will be helpful. It is a bit clunky, and it is harder to organise citations in the same way that I can organise texts in Scrivener. Given that I’m working with a lot of obscure texts, I’m finding that even when I have ISBN numbers, they don’t necessarily exist in the databases that Zotero uses, so I’m entering a lot of things manually. I know it’ll be a kludge and still take me a long time to clean up the bibliography, but I think it’s going to be more efficient than trying to keep my bibliography up-to-date any other way.
- I also have a new to-do list keeper: Wunderlist. I have a work, research and personal to-do list, and the app syncs across all of my devices, including my laptop. It’s a much more efficient system than typing out a to-do list in Evernote! It also allows me to structure my time more successfully than blocking out chunks of time on my calendar, which I do at work, but which I find to not be a very responsive or flexible structure.
The layered and multimedia nature of my Scrivener project has also led me to wonder whether I should think about producing a digital thesis.
One of the academics I follow on Twitter (Lee Skallerup, @readywriting) tweet about an interesting new authoring tool, Scalar, which aims to provide a platform for writers (academic and not) to create interactive, multimedia publications. It is pretty new, and the website is not fantastic at the moment (resemblances to Wikipedia are striking). Still, I think it is pretty interesting. My thesis will focus on how aesthetic responses to art-objects are coded in poetry and prose fiction, and it would seem logical to try to produce something that can juxtapose the written art-objects I am analysing with images of the art-objects to which the authors are responding. Given how effective Scrivener is as a tool for collecting my sources and structuring my thinking, however, I suspect that any Scalar project would be more of a restructuring of a finished thesis, which misses the point… Still, I’m giving it some thought!